Video games comprise one of whatNerd's favorite areas of geeky entertainment.
We have hundreds of articles about PC gaming, console gaming, mobile gaming, virtual reality gaming, gaming culture, and gaming history.
You'll find everything from recommendations on what to play to explainers behind why something is popular or something to be avoided.
The Nintendo Switch is our favorite gaming console to date, which is clear when you see just how much we've written about it. You'll everything all kinds of Nintendo Switch game recommendations no matter your tastes, plus a few ways to level up your Nintendo Switch experience by means of accessories.
- Is the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack Worth It?
- Must-Have Nintendo Switch Accessories
- Nintendo Switch vs. Nintendo Switch Lite, Explained
- The Best Gift Ideas for Nintendo Switch Gamers
Nintendo Switch Games
- The Best Free Nintendo Switch Games
- The Best NES Games on Nintendo Switch Online
- The Best SNES Games on Nintendo Switch Online
- The Best Nintendo Switch Classic Retro Games
- The Best Nintendo Switch Couch Co-Op Games
- The Best Nintendo Switch Crafting Games
- The Best Nintendo Switch Digital Board Games
- The Best Nintendo Switch Exclusive Games
- The Best Nintendo Switch Fighting Games
- The Best Nintendo Switch First-Person Shooter Games
- The Best Nintendo Switch Games for D&D Fans
- The Best Nintendo Switch Games for Grinding
- The Best Nintendo Switch Games Ported From Other Consoles
- The Best Nintendo Switch Hidden Gems
- The Best Nintendo Switch Horror Games
- The Best Nintendo Switch Indie RPGs
- The Best Nintendo Switch JRPG Games
- The Best Nintendo Switch Metroidvania Games
- The Best Nintendo Switch Modern Retro Games
- The Best Nintendo Switch Online Multiplayer Games
- The Best Nintendo Switch Party Games
- The Best Nintendo Switch Platformer Games
- The Best Nintendo Switch Puzzle Games
- The Best Nintendo Switch Racing Games
- The Best Nintendo Switch RPGs
- The Best Nintendo Switch Strategy Games
- The Best Nintendo Switch Third-Person Shooter Games
- The Best Pick-Up-and-Play Nintendo Switch Games
- The Longest Nintendo Switch Games
Between the Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and Xbox Game Pass, there's a whole lot of value in this gaming console ecosystem—especially if you're an avid PC gamer as well. Check out our best articles touching on all things Xbox and how to get the most out of yours.
- The Best Free Xbox One Games
- The Best Xbox 360 Games You Can Play on Xbox One
- The Best Xbox One Exclusive Games
- The Longest Xbox One Games
- The Most Beautiful Games for Xbox Series X|S
- What Is Xbox All Access? Explained
- What Is Xbox Cloud Gaming? Explained
- What Is Xbox Remote Play? Explained
- Why Xbox Game Pass Is Worth It (And What You Need to Know)
- Why You Should Cancel Xbox Live Gold Now
Xbox Game Pass Games
- The Best Action Games on Xbox Game Pass
- The Best Anime Games on Xbox Game Pass
- The Best Arcade Games on Xbox Game Pass
- The Best Local Multiplayer Games on Xbox Game Pass
- The Best Metroidvania Games on Xbox Game Pass
- The Best Online Multiplayer Games on Xbox Game Pass
- The Best Platformer Games on Xbox Game Pass
- The Best Racing Games on Xbox Game Pass
- The Best Roguelike Games on Xbox Game Pass
- The Best RPG Games on Xbox Game Pass
- The Best Shooter Games on Xbox Game Pass
- The Best Simulation Games on Xbox Game Pass
- The Best Sports Games on Xbox Game Pass
- The Best Strategy Games on Xbox Game Pass
- The Best Xbox 360 Games on Xbox Game Pass
- The Best Xbox Game Pass Games for Achievements
The PlayStation 4 managed to do what the PlayStation 3 couldn't, and that's become a household system that will forever be remembered as one of the best gaming consoles of all time. It pushed the boundaries of console gaming and gave us so many awesome games.
- Must-Have PlayStation 4 Accessories
- The Best Free PlayStation 4 Games
- The Best PlayStation 4 Exclusive Games
- The Best PlayStation 4 Fighting Games
- The Best PlayStation 4 Games for Grinding
- The Best PlayStation 4 Games on PlayStation Now
- The Best PlayStation 4 Games Under $10
- The Best PlayStation 4 Hidden Gems
- The Best PlayStation 4 JRPG Games
- The Best PlayStation 4 Racing Games
- The Longest PlayStation 4 Games
The PlayStation 2 is one of our favorite retro gaming consoles, namely because it played a pivotal role in transforming the nature of console gaming, but also because it has so many great games—ones that are still worth playing today!
- How to Play PS2 Games on a PS4
- How to Play PS2 Games Without a PS2 Console
- The Best PS2 Fighting Games
- The Best PS2 Games on PlayStation Now
- The Best PS2 Horror Games
- The Best PS2 Racing Games
- The Best PS2 RPGs
- The Best Local Multiplayer PS2 Games
- The Best Online Multiplayer PS2 Games
- How to Play Multiplayer PS2 Games Online
Here are our best articles for everything related to PC gaming. Our highlights include roundups of useful peripherals and accessories to make PC gaming more comfortable, as well as video game recommendations for when you need new video games to play.
- Is Humble Store Legit? Why I Buy My Games There Now
- The Best Online HTML5 Games (No Flash Player Required)
- The Best Online Typing Games in a Browser
- The Best PC Games on Epic Games Store
- The Best PC Games to Play on a Crappy PC
- The Best PC Gaming Accessories
- The Best PC Gaming Chairs
- The Best PC Gaming Desks
- The Best PC Gaming Gift Ideas
- The Best PC Strategy Games of the Last Decade
- Why I Quit PC Gaming
- Why Is Steam the Most Popular PC Gaming Platform?
- Why Xbox Game Pass for PC Is Worth Getting
- Why You Should Consider Building a Gaming PC
- Why You Should Use a VPN for Gaming
Mobile gaming might not be our favorite way to play games, but there's definitely a time and place for mobile games! Finding the ones worth downloading and installing can be tough—especially with so many mobile games on the app stores—but we can help. Here are the best mobile games we've found that are definitely worth playing.
- The Best Free Hypercasual Mobile Games
- The Best Free Mobile Games Without Ads
- The Best Mobile Games to Play in the Same Room
- The Best Mobile Games to Play on One Phone
- The Best Mobile Gaming Accessories
- The Best Mobile Gaming Trends
- The Best Mobile Icebreaker Games
- The Best Mobile Idle RPG Games
- The Best Mobile RPG Games
- The Best Offline Mobile Games
- The Best Stickman Mobile Games
- The Best Tablet Mobile Games
- The Best Underrated Mobile Games
- Pokemon Go Secrets You Have to Try
- What Is Apple Arcade? Is Apple Arcade Worth It?
Indie and Retro Gaming
Indie gaming and retro gaming aren't exactly the same thing, but there's a lot of overlap between the two. If you like one, you should definitely explore the other—and if you don't know where to start, you can look to our best articles on both indie games and retro games.
- The Best Indie Game Soundtracks
- The Best Retro Game Collections for Modern Consoles
- The Best Retro Game Console Re-Releases
- The Best Sites to Buy Retro Games Online
- The Best SNES Games That Weren't RPGs
- What Makes a Game "Retro"?
- Why I Prefer Retro Video Games
- Why I Prefer Shorter Video Games
- Why Indie Games Are Better Than AAA Games
Every so often, we spot clear shifts in the mentality of gamers and/or game developers, leading to all kinds of unforeseen trends and cultural phenomena. Here are our best articles from when we've pondered and explained all things related to gaming culture.
- Are Video Game Strategy Guides Still Worth Buying?
- Console Gaming Is Becoming More Like PC Gaming (And It Sucks)
- How to Find the Best Video Game Deals and Sales
- Recent Nintendo Controversies That Are Making Us Think Twice
- The Best Energy Drinks for Gamers
- The Best Gaming Magazine Subscriptions
- The Pokemon Nuzlocke Challenge, Explained
- The Worst Video Game Trends in Modern Gaming
- Wait, Licensed Video Games Don't Suck Anymore?!
- What Are Soulslike Games? Explained
- What Is Competitive Pro Gaming? Why Are Esports So Popular?
- What to Do When You Feel Gaming Fatigue
- Which Game Key Resellers Are Safe and Legit?
- Why Are AAA Games So Bad?
- Why Are Battle Royale Games So Popular?
- Why Do People Watch Streamers Play Video Games?
- Why Hype Culture Is Ruining Games
- Why Is Roguelike Gameplay Invading Every Game Genre?
As video gaming continues to evolve, it becomes more and more important to look back at gaming history to see where we came from—not only to appreciate our roots as gamers, but to make sure we aren't repeating the mistakes of the past. Check out our best articles that delve into the various corners of gaming history.
- How Jak and Daxter Paved the Way for Naughty Dog's Best Games
- The Best Pokemon Game Generations, Ranked
- The Best PvP Game Modes I've Ever Played
- The Best Resident Evil Games, Ranked
- The Best Video Game Pets of All Time
- The Curious History of Nintendo's Half-Step Handheld Consoles
- The Hardest Missions and Levels in Video Games
- The Most Bone-Chilling Game Over Screens
- The Most Challenging Video Games of All Time
- The Most Infuriating Lava Levels in Video Games
- The Most Ridiculous Water Levels in Video Games
- The Most Terrifying Video Game Bosses of All Time
- What Were Pack-In Video Games? What Happened to Them?
Virtual Reality Gaming
Virtual reality is still in its infancy, but the advent of the Oculus Quest, Oculus Quest 2, and Oculus Link means that VR gaming should become a household experience within the next decade. Our coverage is still scarce, but we have some key posts you should check out.
- Must-Have Oculus Quest Accessories
- The Best VR Fitness Games
- The Best VR Relaxing Games
- The Best VR Story-Driven Games
- Why Do VR Games Cause Motion Sickness?
Video Game Reviews
Here at whatNerd, we review the occasional video game—mainly indie games or lesser-known games that show a lot of promise and potential. We've reviewed video games on several platforms, including PC, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One. Here are the best video game reviews we've written!
- "Assault Android Cactus" Review
- "Book of Demons" Review
- "Craftlands Workshoppe" Review
- "CrossCode" Review
- "Crown Trick" Review
- "Delver" Review
- "Double Pug Switch" Review
- "Drink More Glurp" Review
- "Evoland" Review
- "Freedom Planet" Review
- "Galacide" Review
- "Going Under" Review
- "Gone Home" Review
- "Gunpoint" Review
- "Maneater" Review
- "Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3" Review
- "Mini Metro" Review
- "Monster Sanctuary" Review
- "Nuclear Throne" Review
- "RAD" Review
- "Riverbond" Review
- "Soundodger+" Review
- "Star Ocean: First Departure R" Review
- "Streets of Rogue" Review
- "World of Goo" Review
VR Game Reviews
Virtual reality will be the future of gaming—or at least one aspect of it—and with the advent of standalone headsets like the Oculus Quest 2, virtual reality gaming is now something that anyone can enjoy. Here are some of the best virtual reality games we've reviewed!
- "Angry Birds VR" Review
- "Apex Construct" Review
- "Arizona Sunshine" Review
- "Beat Saber" Review
- "BoxVR" Review
- "Fujii" Review
- "I Expect You to Die" Review
- "Moss" Review
- "Ninja Legends" Review
- "Racket: Nx" Review
- "Republique VR" Review
- "Space Pirate Trainer" Review
- "Sports Scramble" Review
- "Virtual Virtual Reality" Review